Tuesday, 23 October 2012

23rd Oct

I guess I'm a weekday paleo, weekend indulger. Let's see - that's about 70%, if I give myself the full weekend. Fortunately, even then, I don't go all out - it doesn't appeal to me that much to be honest. So the 80/20 rule? More or less.

Monday 22.10 meal:


Sausages, and roast broccoli. I placed the sausages on top of the broccoli so that the fat would drip down and soak into the veg, which sort of worked. I think next time I'll give it a bit of butter, too, as the broccoli was still a little dry.

23.10 - Tuesday

Two salmon fillets, two scrambled eggs with a shallot and garlic, plus the usual curry paste. In order to get the skin crispy, you've got to make sure your pan is as hot as possible before putting the salmon in. I always listen out for the sizzle of skin-on-hot-metal; that's when you know it's the right temperature. I only flip the salmon once the cooked colour has climbed halfway up the fillet - i.e. when it's turned from dark to light pink halfway. Before that, if you move the fillet around, it'll mess with the skin. Just use the time to chop the garlic and shallots. Once the fillets are done, toss the rest in, add the eggs, and bob's your uncle.


I take my salmon pretty rare - see that gorgeous pink?


What I do, to save me from instant temptations - shop when full. Don't buy snacks, but things that must be cooked or prepped in some way. As you can see, my weekly shop was a bit costly (the Bean required some things for the dishes he whipped up), so it was basically 62 pounds. However, a lot of that is things that I will use for a while - the oils, for example, and gluten-free soy sauce. Proper mustard. I try to buy Tesco's Finest and organic produce, even though it costs a little extra, I feel it's worth it. Most of this went during the weekend, as Bean and I cooked for a friend, and he was here for two days on top of that - we ate everything double quick, basically.


What I have left, after today's meal, is four eggs, two packs of duck legs (they come in threes now. I'm not complaining - more duck for me, but why? Are mutated ducks waddling around on three legs now? That's a scary thought!), a few shallots and garlic, and the oils. Two fillets of salmon, too. And one more pack of sausages. How to spread that out over the week? Well, I'm going home this weekend, and I am definitely stopping by Borough Market to get some fresh fish from Applebee's, and some meats (Ginger Pig collar bacon, YES, and Exquisite Deli cured meats). I'm also working this Friday, down at the local pub. Unfortunately I found out that we don't get free food; just a staff discount. They've also changed the menu, and I'm not that keen on it. I'm on the lookout for a better job, but it'll do in the meantime - I just won't be eating there!

Wednesday: roast duck legs
Thursday: 6 sausages (i.e. the entire pack, yes indeed)
Friday: the remaining salmon

I'm wondering whether I should keep it to zero-carb (thus kick myself as quickly as possible back into ketosis), or get myself some veg to go on the side. It's not strictly necessary, but I do feel better with some greens in my belly. 

Exercise: lifted yesterday; managed to squat about 50kg, and push-press 25kg. Slow but steady improvement. I also did a bit of breakdance training, though I'm got a stuffy nose, so I'm not overdoing anything.

I'll be doing Chinese Kickboxing tonight.

One thing I've noticed is that I don't feel the cold much this year - yet. I don't know whether this is because I've increased the amount of exercise I do, and every time I go outside I'm cooling down, or whether it's a dietary consequence, or a reaction to cold showers. I've been experimenting with taking cool showers, and I find them tolerable in short bursts. I can't take cold showers as of yet, but I'll get there. The timing isn't great, what with winter approaching, so I'm matching cold showers with cold weather, but maybe it'll help my tolerance more. I've never dealt with the cold well before; I'm usually the one in four layers and two pairs of gloves, who always needs to pee when it's cold. I'll keep the experiment going.

Cheers,

Laulet

No comments:

Post a Comment